Simmania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

26Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-09, 14:32

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Great work!

I wonder if Walmart is going to take over Kmart's spot during thier expansion. scratch

27Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-12, 18:31

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Holtdistrictmain

Welcome to another update of Holt District!

In today's update we have moved south from Old Port to the town of Shorecoast. Unlike Old Port, Shorecoast is thriving and lively. Home to 70000 people, the housing market and condominium market is booming, so much so that development is not keeping up with the pace of demand. It is estimated that there are an excess of 5000 people looking to get into the property market in Shorecoast - in addition to those who have registered for new units.

And with all this development, a small CBD (the smallest of the 3 in Holt District - but by no means tiny), and a lot of awesome scenery, there is a lot to see. So much so that I have split our introduction to Shorecoast into 2 updates. In this update, we focus on the southern suburbs and southern "condominium area" - as well as the immidiate area surrounding a new condo development for good measure. So with that, let's go have a look into Shorecoast...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Update2banner
Shorecoast - Booming Development Along the Coast
Part 1 of 2

4.1 | We begin today's update, here in the southern portion of Shorecoast. Houses in this area aren't cheap. Houses which require a lot of repairs and modernization go for mid-$400 000's to low $500 000's. Houses that have already been modernized and added onto range anywhere the mid $600 000's all the way up to $2 million - depending on the house and location. Why are house prices so high? Perhaps it is the excellent school and convenience of the library. Perhaps it is the easy commute to Downtown Sherkston, Downtown Manatee and Downtown Shorecoast, or maybe it is the fact the majority of this neighbouhood is on the water.

Or it could be the fact there is an Ikea. Yes, it is definitely because there is an Ikea. Razz

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast41

4.2 | As mentioned, a large portion of this area is surrounded by water. This little point has some very exclusive - and expensive - homes. The cheapest house to recently sell in this area sold for around $875 000.

Even the wind turbine dampens the value of the homes in this area - they are cropping up through the entire region and feature the latest in noise dampening technology.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast42

4.3 | Due to the nature of the land in Shorecoast - the entire city is a combination of keys and islands - bridges like this are common. And thanks to the hot property market, construction scenes like this are very common as well. Houses on the water in this development have been set at a starting price of $1 000 000.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast43
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast43p2

4.4 | When the housing property began to take off, developers quickly purchased land bordering the ocean. They developed condominiums in a pace never seen before (until recently) in the region. This development is one of my personal favourites - it is in a non-grid layout and has trees surrounding it. It is popular amongst buyers because of the smaller buildings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast44

4.5 | Just above this development lies 2 identical condominium towers and a small complex of smaller buildings - the smaller complex being the first condos in the city.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast45

4.6 | Before we move to another area - here is the area we are currently looking at night. I thought it looked really cool thanks to the placement of the buildings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast46

4.7 | Okay, now we can move on. Here we pick up where the last update left off - the newest condominium development to pop-up. Consisting of 2 buildings, the buildings sold out within a week of becoming available. The developer is already looking to construct another development...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast47

4.8 | The new development is being constructed in an area already filled with a variety of condominiums, most of which have been completed within the past 4 years. While many buildings look alike, residents or town councilors have yet to complain, noting that while the town can try to get building diversity - it would be a long and expensive endeavor

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast48

4.9 | This is the same area, viewed from further out. Traffic may be a concern in the future as traffic levels continue to rise. You can also see another wind turbine amongst the high-rises.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast49

4.10 | Of course, not all of the 'islands' or keys have been developed. Some, like these, are preserved as parkland and are frequently used as recreational area by residents and tourists, despite the wind turbines.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_shorecoast410

That's all for today - I hope you enjoyed the update! This is one of our first updates to this town, with part 2 of our introduction coming up as the next update. This is one of my favourite cities, so I hope you enjoyed it as well. Smile

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Holtdistrictreplies

I should start adding that to all my posts here, announce that I, simLink, am posting. That and to bug K50. Razz

samerton
Thanks - those houses were specifically added to my collection of plugins for this DD. Smile

mayorm
It just would no be a proper region without a Tim Hortons. Though I wish someone would make a new one - the new ones don't look anything like that anymore. Razz
Glad you also like the mix of zoning - wait 'till we go really rural. Razz

titanicbuff
Thanks - it is something I thought would add a nice touch. Smile

K50
Thanks a bunch, hope to do more! Very Happy

Thanks!

titanicbuff
I'm hoping to do another one in the not-too-distant-future, which will shed some interesting revelations... Smile

Aco000
Lol, yes those temps are in Celsius. Razz

cheeseguy
Thanks! I'm thinking those will be a cool way to show off region-related news in a more fun format. Smile

mayorm
Thanks! And all that is known is Walmart neither confirmed nor denied that it bought the Kmart property, though that has been rumoured before...

Wow, a sea of smileys. Hehehe...
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Holtdistrictendmessage

Next Update: We will continue our exploration of Shorecoast.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltdistrictendtwitterHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltdistrictendmapsHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Holtdistrictendsite

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Flags_0

http://simopsis.com

28Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-12, 18:45

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Really captures the suburban feel Smile
This is amazing.. keep it up!

29Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-14, 23:09

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi

Welcome to a Bonus Update!

You can consider today's update "Update 4.5" - if you will. It is not a complete update, however it will be one everyone is interested in for sure. Today I am going to show you various Regional views of Holt District! Woo - hope you're excited! And I sincerely hope these don't disappoint you and meet or exceed your expectations. Let's get on with the show!

Regional View 1 - General Region View
This shot shows you the un-altered view of Holt District in its entirety. It is build on the map of Ft. Lauderdale, FL by blade2k5.

Click for full resolution!
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDupdate45_Region451

The next regional view we're going to have a look at is the above regional view - with municipality names added. This way, you always know where we are when I say
"Today, we're in City/Town/Township XYZ"

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltDistrict_MunicipalNames_small

Oh no, we aren't done yet! In this second last regional view for today we see an "satallite" view of Holt District - we are looking directly down at Holt District.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_aerialSmall

And for out last regional view, a night-time regional view of the populated area of Holt District. This one I am particularly fond of.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltDistrict_RegionNight

And now... a teaser of our next update. Smile

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDInno1
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDInno2
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDInno3

That's all for today, folks! I sincerely hope the regional views didn't disappoint - and that you are looking forward to our next update.
As always, don't forget to follow me on twitter, visit the HD streetmap and website.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltdistrictendtwitterHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HoltdistrictendmapsHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Holtdistrictendsite
Replies will be done at the next update.

30Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-14, 23:30

K50  

K50
Admin
I like the originality in the city name "Shorecoast" Razz

In all honesty your region is coming together nicely, I look forward to seeing more of these as it grows.

31Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-15, 04:16

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
LOL K50 Razz

Satallite Razz

I like your region Smile

32Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-19, 22:24

titanicbuff  

titanicbuff
Resident
Resident
wow

http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/index.php

33Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-20, 00:22

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Hey Everyone! Update 5 is now out, and should be here at Simmaia in a few days. I posted it, but only links showed up, not pictures. Razz
It seems to be a problem going from SMF (at my site) to here with Forumotion.

Thanks for your patience. Smile

34Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-20, 17:12

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Looks like your region is growing Very Happy

looking forward to more updates Smile

35Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-24, 22:59

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Finally getting this over here... about a week late. Razz

In today's update we are once again in the Town of Southlands. Today we focus on the northern suburban area and some of the northern condominium buildings. We also delve into the CBD/Downtown, which of the 3 on Holt District it is the smallest. The northern suburban area of the city is a very ritzy area, house prices average $900 000. Yes, that's the average. Some, many, go for much more. The reason in it is a series of peninsulas, granting waterfront property to many, or water access close by if you aren't waterfront.The condominium buildings offer some cheaper (but smaller) living space as well,
and really boost the Shorecoast skyline.

You will also notice the photo size has increased! Photos are now 1020px wide, instead of being ~750. And today's update may be the one for me to beat - it is awesome IMO. It features my largest ever mosaic, spanning more than 3500 pixels in length. See that at the bottom. With the wider photos come a few retouches to the general appearance, as well. Nothing major.
Let's go on to today's update!

Also, before the update starts. Be sure to check out HDHIP - it will play a HUGE part in the future of this MD.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Update5Banner

Shorecoast - Booming Development Along the Coast
Part 2 of 2

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Largerphotosizes
*Be sure to click on each photo for the fullsize.

5.1 | Empty land. Yep, empty. Well... for now anyways. Rumour has it a developer is interested in acquiring the land and building a massive condominium complex. Whether that gets approved remains to be seen, as just months ago the Town was rumoured to be aiming to protect this land, and keep it open grassland. Talks have been slow, and with the rumoured interest, may not happen at all.

One of the most desirable developments is in the bottom right of this photo... but more on it further down.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast501

5.2 \ Here in Northern Shorecoast, houses are expansive. Like really expensive. The ones on these specific inlets list for no less than $1.5 million. Have no fear... I hear the bank is nearby.
Whether you get approved for a mortgage on one of these properties... that's a different story completely. And whether that's what you pay, same deal. To further complicate manners, houses here don't come up for sale often. The residents here stay for long periods of time. There is usually only one listing every 2 years. This often leads to bidding-wars...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast502

5.3 \ Slightly further south than the above neighbourhood we arrive here, known as Islegfawn, another popular area for famlies and retirees. There are many fixer-uppers in this area, bringing the average house price down to around $675,000. Once fixed up, they can go for around $1 million, depending on the scope of work done to them.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast503

5.4 \ If you thought the above area were expensive, you haven't seen anything yet. These houses go for an average of $3 000 000 - yes $3 Million The houses on the centre island are the most expensive, average around $4 million. Prices are really that ridiculous, and change by that large amount between areas of the Town.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast504

5.5 \ Those looking for a Shorecoast address who can't afford the lofty prices often look to condominiums. Unfortunately, they're hit with the same type of pricing. A 2 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom, 1500 sq.ft. condo will set you back about $550 000. If you're on an upper floor and have a great view, you'd be pushing $800 000. However, these 4 buildings are typically 20% because of their exclusive nature, and the fact they are surrounded by water on 3 sides. These are some of the most desirable condos in the entire region, not just Shorecoast.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast505

5.6 \ Now, if you need a break from sky high real-estate costs, let's go to something non-residential, the Town's CBD. Despire its size, it is the smallest of the 3 CBD's in Holt District. It employs many of the cities residents. Construction and reconstruction are very common here, as is evident by the number of new buildings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast506

5.7 \ Here's another view of the downtown core, with the view it overlooks. Nice, huh? While seawalls have been investigated, and the structural integrity of the land is constantly monitored, there has been no need for the expensive walls... yet.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast507

5.8 \ This green building is a historic landmark in Shorecost, as it is the oldest skyscraper in the Town. It cannot be torn down and redeveloped, and renovations must adhere to strict standards.
This building is a major tourist draw, with many going to its observation deck to have a look at the surrounding view, and it is a regular stop on the building tours.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast508

5.9 \ And for fun, a night view of the Downtown Core at night, with some of the surrounding condominium buildings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast509

5.10 \ And for fun, a night view of the Downtown Core at night, with some of the surrounding condominium buildings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5101
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5102
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5103
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5104
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5105
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5106
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5107
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Shorecoast5108

That's all for today - If you reached the bottom of this part of the post, congratulations! Next update we will continue our exploration of the region.
Yes, there is still LOTS more to see. Wink

[size=8pt]Next Update: We will continue to explore the existing Holt District settlements.
Be sure to checkout the completely redesigned Holt District maps website: Now featuring more than just the regional streetmap!
[/size]
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Simopsis

36Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-24, 23:50

CoastRunner  

CoastRunner
Commoner
Commoner
This is very nice! The city looks excellent, and you describe it very well.

37Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-25, 14:50

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Islands! :DD

38Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-25, 23:41

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
I love how you laid out the towns on those islands Very Happy

39Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-26, 13:11

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi

[size=18pt]Welcome to another update of Holt District![/size]

In today's update we're in the small town of Dofino, population 15000. The town by first glance is not all that exciting.
Get off the highway and there isn't much. But if there is something many people have learnt in their travels, don't judge a place by its cover. With a vibrant downtown area and strong BIA - the small-town charm this town emits attracts people from accross the region to its merchants.

Although it doesn't have the stunning views Shorecoast does - it doesn't have the sky-high realestate prices, either.
We will take a look at the town - which could soon be the scene of a building boom. Let's go have a look!

As a reminder, be sure to check out HDHIP - it will play a HUGE part in the future of this CJ.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Update6banner

Looks Can Be Deceiving - Welcome to Dofino!

6.1| When one pulls off Highway 40 in Dofino, they aren't greeted by much. A service centre and a giant wind turbine welcome them to town.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_61

6.2| But drive a bit further, and you reach the centre of its charming downtown core. With small shops, offices and a small Piggly Wiggly grocery store, the charming core is a draw for those looking for a quiet get-away.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_62

6.3| The shops draw people from across the region during the holiday seasons thanks to aggressive marketing by the Dofino BIA.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_63

6.4| Adding to the bustle of this small downtown area is the town's library - a popular spot for residents to go on a rainy, grey day thanks to the large reading area and fireplace inside. It is also a meeting space for residents, where resident associations have their weekly meetings.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_64

6.5| This is the former HQ of the former Wreshaw County - and also served as the County Courthouse. Wrenshaw merged with The Regional Municipality of Saltfield to form Holt District.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_65

6.6| Not everything is rosey, however. Previously lax planning laws led to the construction of these 2 stores, a Verizon Wireless outlet and Goody's outlet. The Town is working with the land owners for a possible reconstruction of the 2 properties, but nothing has come to fruition.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_66

6.7| The town is home to several lush suburban houses, with large properties. It is a popular area for families, as prices for houses are lower than many other cities. Due to the distance north, the average housing prices are $350 000 in this town.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_67

6.8| Recently the Region expanded one of the elevated rail lines north to Dofino, providing even easier access to Downtown Sherkston.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_68

6.9| The newly extended line has lead to several new housing developments in the area...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_69

6.10| ...and all these new houses have led to an increase in services available...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_610
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_6102

6.11| ...and the increase has made Dofino more attractive to house-buyers, spurring development. See a pattern emerging? Razz

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDDofino_611

hat's all for today - I hoped you enjoyed Dofino! It may not look like much from the highway, but go further away from the highway and you will discover what we did today. Smile

CoastRunner
Thanks! The storytelling has been more fun and better received than I originally expected. Smile

Islands, islands everywhere! Razz

mayorm
Thank You - took a few tries but I eventually got it right. Razz

Next Update: We will continue to explore the existing Holt District settlements.
Be sure to checkout the completely redesigned Holt District maps website: Now featuring more than just the regional streetmap!

40Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-26, 14:01

K50  

K50
Admin
All in all very nice work as usual SL Smile The sub-development in the last picture looks really realistic.

41Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-26, 14:39

CoastRunner  

CoastRunner
Commoner
Commoner
Very nice once more. I checked your site, and it was really cool as well Smile

42Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-27, 16:31

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
I'm once again very impressed by your city building Very Happy

Also your elevated rail picture reminded me to go through and check my regions metro system. So thank you for reminding me about that project Smile

43Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-08-28, 04:02

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Oooh very nice pictures D:

44Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-11, 18:45

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Sorry this is a week late... RL got the best of me.

In today's update we head into the region's largest city, Sherkston. It is a huge city, so touring it will take several updated over the next little while. Today's update focuses on some local landmarks just south of Downtown Sherkston (or also known as the Sherkston CBD.) Today's update is on the shorter side - and I apologize - but it is still an awesome one.
We take a look at government landmarks, cultural and some areas which are just really well known. So let's continue!

You may also notice a new look around here! The new banners are part of Project "UrbanGrunge" (phase 3 to be exact!) - a small plan to unify the look of the Holt District website, HD Twitter feed and Holt District updates. The Maps site was not included since it recently just went through a redesign a few weeks before this project. Though it may change down the line to match everything else.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDupdate7banner
Sherkston - The Capital of Orchidsen

7.1 | Like the entire region of Holt District, Sherkston is experiencing a large building boom. Several smaller homes around the busy avenue and existing condominum tower were torn-down in order to make way for more condominiums. Several building designs are being used here, and it is one of the few projects where 2 builders have come together for one project.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston71

7.2 |These condos will be expensive, sitting on prime real estate. They are a short walk to the downtown core, let alone a transit ride. They are also very close to the Toyota Centre, which is fuelling rumours one building may infact be both condos and a hotel - an area where Sherkston is currently lacking.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston72

7.3 | Like every city or town in Holt District, Sherkston does have its own small quirks or hidden gems. In Sherkston, it is the old wooden roller-coaster that sits across the street from the arena. Built in the 1930's, it still is fully functional to this day, and a ride only costs $4 - a bargain many say.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston73

7.4 |Of course, Sherkston isn't only just play. No, it is home to many political battles. As the title of this update suggest, Sherkston is the capital of Orchidsen, a name you should recognize from HDHIP. Orchidsen is the province which Holt District is in, and this is its Procincial Government Offices and Legislature. The large office tower houses the office of the ministries, of the Premier and of the various committees which are formed. The rounded, lower-roof portion of the building is the area for government staff to meet, have lunch (it is where the cafeteria is located) but most importantly it houses the legislature, where new laws and plans including HDHIP are debated between parties. Currently the Orchidsen Liberal Party holds a majority of seats, followed by the Progressive Orchidsen Party, and lastly the New Conservative Party.

The next election will acrually be something that will be covered in this CJ - but the timeline is top-secret from you the readers, for now. Razz

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston74

7.5 |Often at night several lights are left on in the government building, either because janitors are cleaning, someone hasn't turned off their office lights or because someone is burning the midnight oil getting the new study ready for the legislature to soon consume...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston75

7.6 |Just east of the provincial capital complex is the "midtown" section of Sherkston. The area between the suburbs of both Sherkston and Manatee, this area is home to several low/mid-rise buildings, which employ many throughout the region. The area is said to contain some great shops with very friendly employees - though the service does come with a higher price tag on most items...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston76

7.7 |[Midtown starts getting higher the closer you get to the CBD. But if you think these are tall buildings... well you haven't seen anything yet!

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HDSherkston77

That's all for today. I know the update was a bit shorter, but it still showed a lot. There is alot more to see of Sherkston, so we will likely be here again next update.
And there may be some road construction going on... [Also sorry it took a week to get here... RL happened.]

K50
Thanks! There will plenty more of those to come... hehehe.

CoastRunner
Thanks CR! I recently remodelled/renovated it. Fresh coat of paint to make the updates and site match. So I figured it would be a good time to develop a new look.

mayorm
Thanks - always nice to have compliments. Glad I was able to jog your memory lol. Razz

Hope you liked these ones as well. Smile

[size=8pt]Next Update: We will likely once again find ourselves here in Sherkston. To CBD or not to the CBD... that is the question.[/size]

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdtwitterHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdmapsHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdwebsiteHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Hdsimopsisforums

45Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-11, 19:12

K50  

K50
Admin
Better late then never, it looks good Smile

46Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-11, 23:47

titanicbuff  

titanicbuff
Resident
Resident
wow

http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/index.php

47Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-12, 00:12

forthwall  

forthwall
Visitor
Visitor
That last picture building Shocked

Amazing Very Happy

48Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-17, 20:45

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi

[size=18pt]Welcome to another update of Holt District![/size]

In today's update, we dive right into the Sherkston CBD / Downtown Sherkston Area. This area is the hub of commercial, office and high-paying jobs in the region. It has the highest concentration of jobs and skyscrapers in the region, and it is growing. Recently, an explosive building-boom has started in the city, following a loosening of planning regulations, again permitting the construction of super-tall skyscrapers in the region.

Despite the recent explosion in building construction, there are still various different styles of buildings in the CBD, including some more historic buildings in the "very first" CBD in the region, the old Sherkston Downtown core. Now just a component of the enlargened-CBD, the historic area is still home to many jobs - from start-up internet firms to long-established retailers - the area is certainly not dead.

So let's go check out the economic engine of the region!

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_update8Banner_Sherkston
Downtown Sherkston - Economic Engine

8.1 | This type of scene is becoming more common in Sherkston. Not just the tall buildings, but also the towering cranes. Several massive construction projects have started in the area, and the skyline is rapidly changing.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston81

8.2 | As the building boom begins to take off, we are brought to this area. This area is the epicentre of the last building boom, and it is clear by the large amount of glass and modern architecture of the buildings in the area. A former parking lot is currently being prepped for another large office building. A large, multi-national real estate firm is responsible for this development.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston82

8.3 | Here you can see a mix of the various buildings in Sherkston. You can see buildings recently completed (in the last 2 years, the large blue office building was completed) to buildings completed in the 1960's with few windows. On the left of the photo you can see 2 large construction projects. Those, along with the glass plot next to the project area, were intended to be a park until a change in planning for the city redesignated it as office space.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston83

8.4 | These 2 buildings, despite not being super sky-scrapers, are more recent to Sherkston. The beige building on the left is a large office building, housing general professional services including dentists, lawyers and notaries. To the right of the intersection; the dark, glass building was completed in 2009 and is the headquarters to the Holt District Regional Police Service (HDRPS.) Of course, no photo would be complete without construction. Razz Here an abandoned factory building has been demolished and is being prepped for construction. No word on the plans for this site.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston84

8.5 |As mentioned, not all of Sherkston is suepr-modern skyscrapers. Between the massive construction sites at the bottom of the photo and the large glass office building, you can see the historic Downtown area of Sherkston, now known as "Old Down" to locals. The area is now home to internet firms, photography studio and several antique dealers. It is known as a hip area, and apartments are among the most expensive in the entire country, let alone the region.

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston85

8.6 |As new offices and new jobs are added to the city, demand for houses continues to skyrocket. Here we see phase 1 of a 2 phase project rapidly moving along. The city is expected to receive a huge population boost from this development, in addition to others which are currently in the process of being planned. May expect a 50% increase in population by the next census, to about 200 000. Some are expecting a larger increase.The sight of cranes is becoming a common one. Those in existing condos don't sleep much these days...

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_Sherkston86

And a little teaser for an upcoming mini-update, likely to occur mid-week:

[size=14pt]"While a sea of cranes graces the Sherkston skyline, there are still symbols of the old times. The heritage of this building is a cultural symbol, and one of the most important site in the province. While skyscrapers appear around it, it remains largely the same."
[/size]

K50
Thanks! Smile

titanicbuff
Hehe, thanks. Very Happy

forthwall
Thanks!!

[size=8pt]Next Update: We are going to investigate the teaser quote above, and what it is referring to[/size]

Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdtwitterHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdmapsHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HdwebsiteHolt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Hdsimopsisforums

Be sure to check out information about the upcoming September 2012 Census Update!
A massive update showcasing the latest developments and changes in population for the entire region.

Click here for more information.

49Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-23, 23:24

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 HD_CensusSept2012Ad_zpsa4aa05ad

September 2012 Census Update Page
*DATE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

50Holt District (DDOTM!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Holt District (DDOTM!) 2012-09-24, 01:13

K50  

K50
Admin
Your website looks sweet Link Smile

Sponsored content  

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum