Simmania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

K50  

K50
Admin
Microsoft PowerPoint is a surprisingly powerful program for adding really nice images and text to an image.

You will need TWO things for this to work...
1) Any Microsoft PowerPoint from XP to Windows 8.
2) somewhere to paste your image. I recommend GIMP or Photoshop. Paint works, but if you have something else use that.

This tutorial uses PowerPoint 2010

STEP ONE... get a picture from SimCity 4. doctor it all you want. obviously, this is a stitched mosaic. If you want to crop it do that now.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 05059246

STEP TWO... cut/copy-paste it into Microsoft PowerPoint. Do not crop it, you will lose your image quality later.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! B30e1823

STEP THREE... find a place where you want to edit text. find the "text box" button. if your version is 2003 or older you can find it under the "draw" tab. In 2007 and 2010 it's where it is below. In 2013 it's in a similar spot in the home tab under the "shapes" menu.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! Dab0d7f0

STEP FOUR... draw the text box.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 7c76ff4b

STEP FIVE... look for the drop-down menus that show the font and font size. if you don't want to select a size you can click the large "A" with the supescript arrow pointing up to increase the font instead.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 7c76ff4b

STEP SIX... select a font and size. I chose Castellar (even though Colonna is the one highlighted, oops)
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 4a45e562

STEP SEVEN... type away! change the colors, add effects, do whatever you want. WordArt is recommended.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 356ecf48

STEP EIGHT... move it somewhere. I moved it to the corner. notice the grayish lines off to the sides of the corners, these lines appear in the 2010 version, they mean you are perfectly aligned to it. in 2007 it will jump to the corner (as far as i can remember)
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 73cd42b5

STEP NINE... once you are done, hit control and A (select all) and then control and C (copy). Copy it back to the image editor. For me, it is GIMP.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 4110bc66

STEP TEN... crop out the transparent edges. You can do this manually (shown here) or use Image > Autocrop Image to do it for you.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 4a23983b

STEP ELEVEN... powerpoint blows the image up sizewise, so be sure scale the image back down. my screen resolution for sim city is 1366x768 (yes that is hacked, see the region hack tutorial) so I will scale down to 1366 and let it calculate the other numbers (since its a mosaic). DO NOT go beyond this or the original image will look pixalated, only go to your screen resolution. If your screen is 800x600 then go to 800 or below. If it's 1920x1080 HD then go up to 1920 or below. This applies to stitched images also.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 1dc876f0

STEP TWELVE... save the image. Saving in a PNG format is easiest but if you tweak some settings in GIMP when saving, you should be okay with a JPG. I'm not sure how to do that in Photoshop though.
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 9d3cbda2

STEP THIRTEEN... show off the finished product!

click for full resolution! (1366x1803)
How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 454px-16_riviera_moasic

Last edited by K50 on 2012-12-31, 00:18; edited 1 time in total

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Nice job!

Is powerpoint free though? confused

Anyways, adding text in paint got horrible, you lost a lot of image quality. I started doing it in GIMP, and exporting it... i may try this

K50  

K50
Admin
Joshriddle_1234 wrote:Is powerpoint free though? confused
No. It most commonly comes in a package with Microsoft Word and Excel. On old versions it came with Outlook as well, in new versions it comes with OneNote.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Sad

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Heh, I do the same thing except in excel. Razz

http://simopsis.com

K50  

K50
Admin
Powerpoint is better Razz

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Not sure that I've ever done this in excel Razz

K50  

K50
Admin
How the heck do you do it in Excel? I have to ask Link Razz

B-more4  

B-more4
Town planner
Town planner
Cheeseguy wrote:Nice job!

Is powerpoint free though? confused

Anyways, adding text in paint got horrible, you lost a lot of image quality. I started doing it in GIMP, and exporting it... i may try this

I suppose a free version of Powerpoint/MS Office would work, too, for you, Cheeseguy; it's worth a try.

I personally use Libre Office, and it's a pretty solid program. How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! 26721

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
I use libreoffice as well. I had an 180 trial for the full office suite that I got for acedemic reasons, but that's expiring soon.

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
LOL I just use GIMPs built in text thing Razz

nice tutorial though K!

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
K50 wrote:How the heck do you do it in Excel? I have to ask Link Razz

I paste the image in, then use word art. Just like in powerpoint. I find it easier in excel though because you have a "sheet" to work on. I'll show an image perhaps tomorrow of what my HD excel workbook (I'm now on my 2nd - each update gets a sheet) looks like. Basically I do what you do in powerpoint, but in excel. It's just what I used for photo-editing/text adding before I started CJing, and it has stuck. Razz

I have used powerpoint in the past, though, for something simmilar.

Republicmaster  

Republicmaster
Quadruple digits!
Quadruple digits!
Interesting SimLInk Razz

I just use PS in text thingy Razz

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
I took an entire class studying the four main programs of microsoft office, and never once came across graphics tools in excel. Razz Interesting link!

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Indeed, it is. This isn't Holt District's excel file (that's on my other computer Razz) however this one is covers some SMP3 banner work.

How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! Excel_photoediting_zps28eec5d1

The 3 3's, SMP3 and Announcement are all separate word arts. The green background is a rectangle shape art added in. I should have selected all of the pieces to show you, but whatever. I'm sure you get the point. Razz

Republicmaster  

Republicmaster
Quadruple digits!
Quadruple digits!
Not the threes D:

That looks interesting I might have to try it out Very Happy

SimLink  

SimLink
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Here's the same excel file but with all the "pieces" selected, so you can see how I put things together. Razz

How to use Microsoft PowerPoint to add text to an image without losing the image quality! Smp_excel_zpsfb9e3eaf

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
LOL even after taking a whole class on it, much remains to learn. Razz

Sponsored content  

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum