Simmania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_banner_2

Replies:

111222333444: Thank you for visiting!
mayorm: Today you will hear more about the football teams of Lagouira.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_image_29

Lagouira's Olympic Stadium (capacity 50,000) fills the role of the National Stadium of Gharbiyya. The national football team plays all of its international matches here and both of Lagouira's football clubs (Al Nasr & Al Ittihad) also play here. The Olympic Stadium sits on the waterfront and is very close to the International Airport.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_image_28

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_image_30

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Al_nasr_lagouira

Al Nasr
Al Nasr (Victory in Arabic) is Gharbiyya's most popular club with a fanatical fanbase. Al Nasr has won the Gharbiyyan League 10 times, the Gharbiyyan Cup 5 times, and the Gharbiyyan SuperCup 1 time. The club has recently been going through a tough period having not won the League title in over 10 years. This drought has not affected their fan support however, as you can see below.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Al_nasr_fans

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Al_ittihad_lagouira

Al Ittihad
Al Ittihad (United in Arabic) is Gharbiyya's second most popular club, but the most succesful. Al Ittihad has won the League 16 times, the Cup 6 times, and the SuperCup 10 times. Al Ittihad has also had the most success in African Continental Football of any Gharbiyyan club, having reached the semi finals of the CAF Champions League in 2007. Similar to Al Nasr, Al Ittihad also has fanatical fans who cover themselves in red at any chance they get.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Al_ittihad_fans

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Al_ittihad_fans_2

Finally, I will be leaving you with another mosaic which offers a sneak peak at the next update, Lagouira's International Airport.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_mosaic_3

K50  

K50
Admin
Wow, you need to catch up on updates over here E Razz

samerton  

samerton
Frequently mentioned in the media
That is quite extraordinary. Great work, some brilliant pictures you have.

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Wooo soccer!

I liek that stadium Smile

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_banner_2

Replies

k50: Yes I do need to catch up over here.
samerton: Glad you liked it!
111222333444: Yes, it is a good stadium.

Today we will be visiting Lagouira International Airport; a small, poorly planned, yet bustling airport.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_airport

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_airport_4

The terminal has recently been upgraded and was designed by a Japanese firm. Due to space constrictions the airport only has eight gates and a small cargo terminal on the other side of the runway.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_airport_3

Another interesting feature of the airport is how close the runway is to a major avenue and the beach. Plane-spotting tourists often gather on the beach to get a close-up view of the airport.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_airport_2

There are five airlines that primarily fly into Lagouira.

Air France
Daily flights to Paris and Marseille

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 1000px-air_france_logo_svg

Afriqiyah Airways
Daily flights to Tripoli and Benghazi

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Afriqiyah-airways-logo

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Afriqiyah

Emirates
Daily flights to Dubai and Dhahran

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 500px-emirates_logo_svg

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Emirates

Qatar Airways
Daily flights to Doha and Riyadh

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 1000px-qatar_airways_logo_svg

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Qatar_airways

Royal Jordanian
Flights three times a week to Ammann and Aqaba

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 1000px-royal_jordanian_logo_svg

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Royal_jordanian

Now that you know how to get to Gharbiyya there is no excuse not to visit this fine country! We are almost finished with the city of Lagouira and will probably be moving on to another country in the Zouérat Islamic Federation, either the Mahibadhoos (a collection of atolls off the coast of Africa), or the Emirate of Dhahran (an ultra modern, oil-rich Emirate in the Middle East). Let me know which you would like to visit next and I will see what can be arranged.

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby

Replies

No comments Sad

Today is the final visit to Lagouira so I thought I would leave you with a few pictures. The next update will reveal what country we are visiting next in the Zou�rat Islamic Federation. The tropical Mahibadhoos, or the Emirate of Dhahran.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_mosaic_4

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_image_32

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Lagouira_mosaic_5

K50  

K50
Admin
Nice to see you back E Smile

In that first mosaic there's a reddish building with a glass roof, where did you find it?

samerton  

samerton
Great update, I love the style of the city.

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
K50 wrote:Nice to see you back E Smile

In that first mosaic there's a reddish building with a glass roof, where did you find it?

I am not sure actually, I know it is a french BAT, maybe it is on the LEX?

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
The next member nation of Zouérat Islamic Federation we will be visiting is the Mahibadhoos, a collection of atolls off the western coast of Africa. The Mahibadhoos have a history of many different cultures settling and governing the low-lying atolls, from the Arabs, to the Berbers, to the French, English, Portuguese and Spanish. All of these influences have lead to the nation gaining a very unique cultural identity and language. Independence was eventually granted from Britian in 1965. Despite being a prominent tourist destination due to the sandy white beaches and clear blue water, the Mahibadhoos to this this day remain a very conservative group of islands with a strict adherence to the Islamic faith.

Mahibadhoos General Information

Flag

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 500px-presidential_standard_of_the_maldives_svg

Official Name: Islamic Republic of Mahibadhoos
Short Name: Mahibadhoos
Demonym: Mahibadhian
Capital: Dhiraagu
Largest City: Dhiraagu
Currency: Zouérat Dirham
Official Language: Mahibadhian
Demographics: Mahibadhian (96%), Other (4%)
Religion: Sunni Islam (100%) - Sunni Islam is the only legally permitted religion in the Mahibadhoos.
Internet TLD: .mb
Total Population: 320,000
Life expectancy: Men - 61, Women - 63
Literacy rate: 96%

Climate
The Mahibadhoos have a tropical climate with weather that is warm year-round. The year can be divided into a dry season (winter) and rainy season (summer). The low-lying Mahibadhoos are at risk from rising sea-levels, although the evidence around rising sea-levels is still disputed by some scientists. The highest point in the Mahibadhoos is just 2.4 meters above sea-level.

Politics
The Mahibadhoos is a functioning democracy although there has been a history of coups and popular protests forcing the resignation of Presidents. The most recent was only this year when growing resentment of corruption and poor living conditions lead to weeks of protests around the country.

At first we will be visiting some of the resort islands that have made the Mahibadhoos so popular with tourists really wanting to get away from everyday life. A preview of what is to come.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Mahibadhoos_banner_2

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 405-maldives

Republicmaster  

Republicmaster
Quadruple digits!
Quadruple digits!
Nice Island!

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Wow nice island!

Though that RL island picture is very familiar to me... really Razz

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Mahibadhoos_banner_1

Replies:

Republicmaster: Thanks!
111222333444: You are familiar with the island in the picture?

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banyantreehotelsresortslogo_2010_09_27

Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts is an international company with resorts all around the world. The company has opened many five-star resorts in the Mahibadhoos, taking advantage of the crystal clear water, great climate, and relative isolation of the country. Tourists come from all over the world to experience a little piece of Mahibadhian paradise.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_beach

These resort islands are only used for tourism and help the country run a tourist industry that doesn't intrude on the traditional islamic cultures of the Mahibadhian people. Tourists are not permitted to visit islands which contain Mahibadhian villages.

Today we will be visiting the islands of Angsana and Ihuru, both of which are only 20 minutes by speedboat from the capital city of Dhiraagu. These resorts are built in a traditional style that allow the buildings to blend into their natural surroundings, but don't be fooled, these resorts are five-star with all the modern luxuries tourists demand.

The island of Angsana is particularly popular.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_image_1

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_image_2

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_image_3

You can see how close the two islands are to each other below, Ihuru is at the top of the shot, Angsana at the bottom.
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_mosaic

This day in paradise is coming to an end, but don't worry, every day in the Mahibadhian resort islands is like being in paradise.
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Angsana_ihuru_at_dusk[b]

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Ooooh more tropical beaches D:

meister1235  

meister1235
Town planner
Town planner
I wish i could do some holiday on these small islands Smile

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
I could cry right now Sad Its so beautiful and nice Very Happy

Also Dito Meister

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Mahibadhoos_banner_1

Replies:

111222333444: You will tired of tropical beaches by the time you are finished visiting the Mahibadhoos!
meister1235: Yes, I would like to holiday on these islands too.
mayorm: Don't cry!

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Maeenboodhoo_image_3

The village of Maeenboodhoo, population about 1200, is one of the main settlements on the atoll of Hulhudheli. Hulhudheli is one of the more isolated atolls in the country and is a quite a distance from the capital of Dhiraagu. This relative isolation means that the atoll is not as modernised as other parts of the Mahibadhoos.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Maeenboodhoo_image_1

This overcrowded island is off-limits to tourists as the Mahibadhian government wants its population to retain a conservative Islamic lifestyle. Some more cynical people claim the government doesn't want the outside world to see that such poverty exists in this supposed paradise.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Maeenboodhoo_mosaic_1

Maeenboodhoo has a bustling little port and relies on everything from food and building materials being shipped in, as you can see there is no suitable farming land at all!

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Maeenboodhoo_mosaic_2

Not far from Maeenboodhoo is the uninhabited island of Rinbudhoo. When the people of Maeenboodhoo want to escape from their crowded island they come here. Rinbudhoo really is the definition of a desert island.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Rinbudhoo_image_2

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Rinbudhoo_image_1

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Rinbudhoo_mosaic_1

I hope you have enjoyed today's visit to islands normally off-limits to outsiders. For now, it is time to rest and get ready for our next adventure in the Mahibadhoos.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Maeenboodhoo_image_2

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Very crowded island! Razz Very Nice!

elavery wrote:You will tired of tropical beaches by the time you are finished visiting the Mahibadhoos!
LOL No xDxDxD (Actually, I would probably live on one of those islands rather stay in this depressing winter scene Razz since I'm more of a tropical person, I have quite immersed myself to all kinds of tropical beaches Razz)

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
I think it's about time to make a reality/cyberworld transfer machine. Then I'd grab me one of those islands to live on. Razz

Nice work!

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby

Replies:

111222333444: I understand craving the warmth, it is very cold here in Pennsylvania at the moment too.
Blake: Sounds like a good idea!

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_plastic_dump

Banidhoo is an artificial island in the Dhiraagu Atoll, about 6.5 kilometres from the capital of Dhiraagu. It was created in 1991 to be the municipal landfill for the capital city which was becoming overwhelmed with garbage. Banidhoo has since grown to become the major industrial hub for the Mahibadhoos.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_image_2

While Banidhoo has succesfully relieved Dhiraagu of its waste predicament, the process of dumping garbage indiscriminately has become an ecological hazard. Much of the garbage dumped here contains asbestos and other harmful toxic metals such as mercury and lead and threatens to leach into the sea. In light of this, the Mahibadhian government has restricted the types of waste that can be dumped on Mahibadhoo and resort islands have been encouraged to limit their non-recyclable garbage.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_mosaic_1

About 1000 workers live on Banidhoo to sort the garbage, work at the port, and in industrial warehouses. Most of the workers are poor immigrants from Gharbiyya and Mauritania and live in a rather drab housing block. A mosque was recently built on the island to provide the workforce some spiritual motivation.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_mosaic_3

Banidhoo is the only major container port in the Mahibadhoos and most imports and exports go through the Banidhoo cargo terminal.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_mosaic_2

By night, the workers of Banidhoo are still hard at work in the factories and warehouses, particularly in the Pepsi Bottling Plant that has recently opened.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Banidhoo_image_1

mayorm  

mayorm
SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
Very nice update! I love the Island, it is really unique using it as a landfill. Although it does look like with all the activity the island could use some expansion. Very Happy

K50  

K50
Admin
Only you could make a landfill look beautiful Razz

Nice work as always, you should post here more often Smile

Republicmaster  

Republicmaster
Quadruple digits!
Quadruple digits!
Woah Nice Island!

SC4 insomniac
SC4 insomniac
dirty island Razz

elavery  

Passerby
Passerby
Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Mahibadhoos_banner_3

Replies:
k50: I will do my best to try and post here more regularly.
Republicmaster: I am glad you liked the garbage island!
111222333444: Indeed it is dirty.

Our journey through the Mahibadhoos towards the capital of Dhiraagu continues with the island of Hithadhoo, about 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) west of the capital. Hithadhoo is one of the larger settlements in the Mahibadhoos with about 8000 people living on the island. Due to its proximity to the capital, Hithadhoo is relatively developed, particularly compared to the island of Maeenboodhoo which we visited a few weeks ago.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Hithadhoo_mosaic

Due to soaring land values in crowded Dhiraagu, some companies have decided to relocate to Hithadhoo. This gleaming new office building was built to accommodate these companies.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Hithadhoo_image_1

Hithadhoo also has the best football stadium in the Mahibadhoos outside of Dhiraagu. Victory SC, the most succesful Mahibadhian club outside of the capital play at this stadium.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Hithadhoo_image_2

Hithadhoo, despite being densely populated, still however retains some great beaches and places to escape the hustle and bustle.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Hithadhoo_image_3

Until next time, farewell from the Mahibadhoos.

Zouérat Islamic Federation (Update #20 - April 12, 2013) - Page 2 Hithadhoo_mosaic_2

Sponsored content  

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum