Simmania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
What is a command prompt boot?

I also do like the progress bar better, but I also like the Windows 7 bootscreen.

Also I don't know if I'm stupid, but I tend to find W7's boot process a bit dicey.

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Just displays a bunch of technical text about each step in the booting process. It is kinda neat for me to watch. I've studied the Linux kernel before.

By the way, the kernel is the central "program", if you want to use those terms, to everything else in the operating system. The kernel provides extremely vital resources needed for the operating system's other processes as well as user programs to run.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Well, the only time I have seen techy stuff during a Windows boot sequence is P.O.S.T, and starting in Safe mode.

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
I enjoy watching it, though. I love this kind of stuff.

As far as starting in SAFE mode, ehh... I rarely ever do it. I hate safe mode.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
I'm going to read the online version of the C Book and a few other programming online handbooks. I wouldn't mind getting into developing software. I could make an operating system. Razz

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
... Make an operating system? Shocked

I did quite a lot of study on the Linux kernel, and still, I think that I just barely touched the surface of operating systems... You should probably thoroughly learn C and study the Linux kernel before you even begin that kind of stuff. I know some C, but I haven't fully learned the language.

Good news: Linux is open source. That means you can see the entire kernel's source code. Look at http://www.kernel.org

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Nice.

But something that I could charge someone $240 to use like Windows lolz jk

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
I still like how Linux is free.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
I MIGHT dual boot Linux on W7.... that is if it lets me. I have heard rumors (in simmania chat) of how W7 doesn't like linux... scratch

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
That is true -- but -- if you install Linux after Windows, Windows can't prevent Linux from booting. Again, that's because the problem is in the Windows bootloader, but when you install Linux, it replaces the Windows bootloader, and usually configures itself automatically as a duel-boot system.

The bootloader is merely the program that selects which operating system to boot.

I used to have a duel boot system, and I know that this works.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Maybe

But you know, Microsoft attempts all these lock ins. All of them fail. They are most likely scared half to death if they programed W7 to object dual booting. Sometimes I feel if they hired 1st graders to program the thing.

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Yeah... Why cause so much trouble over a duel boot?

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
I have been wanting to play around in the BIOS to see if there was anything interesting in there. Does anyone have any advice?

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Yeah, I have some advice:

I messed up my computer once by changing the way that RAM mapping was done. I had to reset the BIOS. On desktops, resetting the BIOS is as easy as removing the watch battery found in the interior (yeah, there should be one). Unfortunately, not all laptops allow you to reset the BIOS.

So, my advice is, don't mess with ANYTHING that you aren't sure about. The BIOS has a lot of settings that can ruin your system when changing. (And... it can be as easy as two or three presses on the keyboard changing a seemingly innocent setting) This is a power-user's job -- to mess with the BIOS, so make sure you know what you are doing before changing anything. Don't just "experiment" if you don't know how to reset the BIOS on your computer. (Even if you do know how to reset your BIOS, messing with some settings, like clock speeds (e.g. 2.7GHz), can actually damage your computer, so be careful. )

The BIOS can be a very dangerous place, so be careful.

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
Well, yesterday, I was being a big old idiot and wiped out everything on the "Add Remove Windows Components" list under Add/Remove programs. All I wanted to do was remove MSN Explorer. OK. I uncheck the rest, and leave MSN Explorer checked.

I absolutely hate the fact that it doesn't tell you barely anything there. I didn't know what was installed, and what wasn't. And I wound up wiping out all that, or a majority of it.

Which I'm not afraid of anything happening, thing is, utilities included Disk Defragger (is there any freeware disk defraggers out there?) and disk cleanup and everything else.

I hear these cannot be deleted, but they all have their own EXE files (Under C:\Windows\System32) meaning should you delete that EXE file you can't use the program anymore. I'm not going to put up $100 for Diskkeeper or other defraggers right now.

No I do not have the XP Install Disc anymore Neutral

So, to other Windows XP users out there, help?!

Blake  

Blake
Hides from the paparazzi
Hides from the paparazzi
Try Smart Defrag. This is a really good deep-defragmentation/optimization tool, and it's free. As far as disk cleanup, you might want to google that up.

I wouldn't recommend going that far with editing Windows settings unless you know what you are doing. There are some hidden tools that are really meant for those who know what they are doing, and how to do it. I would recommend being really careful with such tools.

Well, about getting your system back, you probably should look to see if the .exe files for these programs are available from Microsoft or some other site. You might be able to get them back.

It might be easier if you have System Restore turned on. If you do, run it (and if you aren't absolutely sure what I'm talking about, ask me before you run it This is not the same thing as restoring from a previous image of the C:\ drive. ). If you aren't don't have it turned on, you might have to stick with other options.

Last edited by blakesterville on 2010-11-10, 18:08; edited 1 time in total

Cheeseguy  

Simmania Junkie!
Simmania Junkie!
That is a dangerous place.

I need it fixed. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Oh well that is what you get for screwing around like that

Sponsored content  

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum